Hothfield Village History
...from the rustic heart of Kent
13th Century Parish Church
The Tufton Tomb inside St Margaret's Parish Church
>>Click Here<< to link to Kent Arch. Society's Monumental Inscriptions found in the churchyard of Hothfield Church.
Parish & Local History Records.
Are you searching for old parish records? Researching your family tree? Interested in local history archives? The Kent History and Library Centre (KHLC) at Maidstone replaces the Centre for Kentish Studies, East Kent Archives Centre, County Central and Maidstone (St Faiths Street) libraries. KHLC holds manuscript and printed records for Hothfield and the County of Kent.
This book by the Hothfield History Society is the definitive record of village development and life in the 20th Century.
Extract from the book's Introduction
1900 the then Rector of Hothfield, the Reverend Harry Russell, had
written not only the history of Hothfield but also that of many
families connected with the village. It seems appropriate then,
that in the year 2000 we should attempt to bring this up to date
by producing a history of the parish in the last 100 years.
With over 100 pages, the book contents include...
To find out more about the book or to purchase a copy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of the book are currently available for purchase at £10, plus postage and packing where appropriate. A CD for viewing on a computer is also available at £5, plus postage and packing where appropriate.
Hothfield in the 20th Century book rear cover
Hothfield - A History of the Village
A photocopy of the three volumes of Reverend Russell's manuscript, Hothfield, and referred to above is kept in the village and has been transcribed by Bob Rivers into typescript. The manuscript was written mainly as a collection of notes charting the development of Hothfield from 680AD to 1900. It gives genealogical details of many of the families who influenced the development of the parish, mentions many of the more humble residents in the 18th and 19th centuries, describes economic and social conditions and identifies physical features. Many of the villages and towns around Hothfield are also mentioned. The contents are:-
The Name; Civil & Geographical Position; Population; and, Possible Earliest Mention of Hothfield
Physical Features; Acreage; Trees; etc
Boundaries & Perambulations
Connection of the Parish with the Weald
Farms; Fields; Mills; Woods; etc and their ownership
Sundry Names Connected with the Parish
Some Changes in the Parish between 1779 & 1900
Connection of the Parish with the Cloth Industry
Connection of the Parish with the Iron Industry
Valuation of the Rectory of Hothfield
The Church Plate
The Clerks & Sextons
Visitations (Comperts & Detecta)
Churchwarden's & Overseers' Accounts
Overseers & Rates
Some Plants on & about Hothfield Common
Books of Reference
Index of Miscellaneous Topics
Index of Places
Index of Family Names & Titles.
The book can be borrowed from Ashford Library and seen in the reference section. It can also be seen in the Centre for Kentish Studies at County Hall, Maidstone.
more information, or to purchase a copy, please email email@example.com. A CD for viewing on a computer is also available at £10 plus postage and packing where appropriate.
Hothfield Common (now called Hothfield Heathland Nature Reserve, July 2011)
The Common was probably, like many other similar areas throughout Britain, an ancient Neolithic and Bronze Age grazing ground and then, following the Roman invasion when the Manorial system was imposed, it became the private property of the Lord of the Manor. It is probable then, that for the last 1000 years, Hothfield, like most other common land was used as un-enclosed pasture for stock grazing and also important to local economy, it would have provided wood, turf and peat for fuel, heather faggots for road foundations, bog moss for wound dressings and bracken for stock bedding. Within living memory, farmers used horse-drawn machinery to cut bracken for use as a covering for clamps of root crops, and it was also supplied to the London Mews for stable bedding. Another important feature of Common maintenance was the winter burning of bracken litter in October and November, a practice which continued until the Second World War.
Bluetit on Hothfield Common, Spring 2015
Hothfield Common covers an area of about 200 acres (81 hectares) and lies on a narrow band of sandy rocks known as the Lower Greensand on the gently sloping North-Eastern edge of the Weald of Kent. The two sub divisions of the Lower Greensand formation that occur at Hothfield are the Folkestone beds which are porous and the Sandgate beds which are fairly impervious. This has given rise to a spring line at the junction between the two beds, so forming small peat bogs in the shallow valleys, and it is the acid nature of these bogs and the surrounding heath land that provides a habitat for all sorts of rare and unusual plant and animal species. The scientific importance of the Common was recognised in January 1951 when it was declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
With the advent of war then, the Common, including Hothfield Hospital (the former workhouse), which is at the north-west corner was requisitioned as an army training ground and Nissen huts were erected. The existence of a wide trench that is still known as the “tank trap” (probably used to camouflage Bren Gun carriers) is about the only visible reminder of those times. [Extracted from Hothfield in the 20th Century publication, see above.]
Chif Chaff on Hothfield Common, Spring 2015
Linnet on Hothfield Common, Spring 2015
Woodpecker on Hothfield Common, Spring 2015.
Website comments or queries?
©2006-2015 Hothfield Parish Council