Hothfield Parish Council

...in the rustic heart of Kent



 
 FEBRUARY 2020 PARISH COUNCIL
MEETING MINUTES DRAFT
MINUTES No. 194
 

Minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting

held at The Bluebell Centre, Hothfield,

on Wednesday 5th February 2020 at 7.00 pm

[ DRAFT - -to be agreed at the next Meeting ]

Unique Minute No

Business

Record

Action

 

1.

Note of Persons Present

Mr I Lloyd (Chair), Mrs M Merrion,

Mr M Cook, Mr G Cox, Mrs P Sutcliffe,

Mr P Theedom, Cllr C Bell,  

Mrs M Norris (Clerk)

PCSO Newell

 

 

2.

 

Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Mr R Vernon & Mr Hughes.

 

 

3.

Declarations of Interest

None Received.

 

4.

Public Interval

A number of local residents were in attendance, following emailed correspondence, the chairman introduced the subject of the Hothfield Brain Injury Unit.  A resident of Church Lane explained that a number of emergency service vehicle have become lost whilst trying to attend the Brain Injury Unit. Sat Navs direct the vehicles down Church Lane which is a private road and not a through road. This leaves larger vehicles unable to turn around and increases a risk to vehicles and properties and delays the emergency services in their response. Practical solutions include better signage for vehicles on The Street/ Fridd Lane and to change the post code. The PC agreed that there was a problem and would support local residents in their attempts to seek a change of Post code either for the Brain Injury Unit or Church Lane. Cllr Bell, who was also at the meeting, suggested that the residents may wish to copy her into the correspondence and she would also look to assist in this matter.

 

Further to planning application 19//01771/AS Greensands. Residents voiced their concerns surrounded the planning application in particular with the height of the works measured against the height of the existing turret. The PC will undertake a site visit before putting forward their comments to the planning department.

 

A resident made a complaint concerning two parish councillors. As the Chairman and the PC had no prior knowledge of this matter being raised, the chairman did not have the opportunity to explain that the PC meeting was not the correct forum to address complaints and that the PC themselves have no authority to deal with these matters. Any complaints concerning Parish Councillors should be pursued through Ashford Borough Council. The complainants have been advised of this and provided with the correct documentation. 

 

 

5.

Minutes of Previous

Meeting

Minutes of the previous meeting were agreed

and signed as an accurate record by the Chairman

 

 

 

6.

Matters Arising

 

There were no matters arising.

 

 

7.

Borough Councillors Report

Cllr Bell spoke about the KCC strategic plan. The plan shapes how KCC will prioritise spending money and how they will work together with partners over the next 5 years. The plan sets out 7 draft outcomes for Kent. Public consultation has already begun and further details can be found on the KCC website.

 

Ward members grant – Annual funding which is available for local community projects up to the value of £600. Cllr Bell spoke to the PC and sent the guidelines and application form.

 

 

8.

A20 Lorry Scheme

 

The scheme is in force and incidents of clamping were reported

 

9.

 

9.1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.3

 

Finance

 

Payment of Accounts

 

 

 

 

 

 

Solar Grant Spending

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Grass Cutting Church Payment

See Table Below for figures. 

 

Payment for invoices for the month of February were agreed and signed off. 

 

The Clerk agreed to chase ADT regarding raising a new invoice for the Parish Council which will enable the PC to pay for the intruder alarm and claim back the VAT.

 

A meeting to discuss ideas with local residents has been arranged for 21/02. Clerk to circulate a list of the current suggestions to all PC. The meeting has been advertised in Hothfield News and will also be advertised on the website and parish noticeboard. Cllr Cox agreed to submit a post advertising the meeting for “Next Door”

 

Peter Howard agreed to get another key cut for the Village noticeboard.

 

Peter Howard agreed to let the Clerk know who the cheque for the grass cutting service should be made payable to.

 

 

 

Earmarked Funds 

Balance As of 4/02

+/- February Payments  

Expected March Balance

 

           EDF (DD)

          February  

                                   

 

1799.54

3.00

 

1796.54

Salaries & Other Costs

Mr Marden

Mrs Norris

 

HMRC

 

Webmaster

 

Sutcliffe Electronics

 

 

 

2507.47

 

106.73

273.86

 

    4.40

 

224.00

 

  44.94

 459.91

1393.63

Bus Shelter

551.60

 

551.60

Garden Competition

390.02

 

390.02

Village Project

705.64

 

705.64

Village Fete

1793.31

 

1793.31

Hall Rent for Squad 26

NIL

 

NIL

TOTAL

7747.58

1116.84

6630.74

Bank Balance - Hothfield Parish Council - Bank Reconciliation as at last Bank Statement

Balance per Cash Book                          Balance at Bank

 

Opening Balance

32765.19

 

PC Reserve A/C

35753.41

Add Receipts in Year

 6239.99

 

Plus, u/c Receipts

        0.00

 

39005.18

 

 

35753.41

Less Payments in Year

  4316.43

 

Less u/c Cheques

    1164.66

 

34688.75

 

 

34588.75

Less Earmarked Funds

  7084.35

 

PC Current A/C

    100.00

 

27604.40

 

 

34688.75

 

 

 

Less Earmarked Funds

  7084.35

 

 

 

 

27064.40

Hothfield Youth Account - Bank Reconciliation – as at last Bank Statement

 

Opening Balance

  2402.08

 

Business Current a/c

1369.86

Add Receipts in Year

        0.17

 

Plus, u/c Receipts

      0.00

 

  2402.25

 

 

1369.86

Less Payments in Year

        0.00

 

Less u/c Cheques

      0.00

 

  2402.25

 

 

1369.86

 

 

 

Direct Reserve a/c

1032.39

 

 

 

 

 2402.25

Accounts to be Paid (projected for March 2020)

PAYEE

CHQ

NO

DESCRIPTION

NET

£

VAT

£

GROSS

£

Parish Clerk M Norris

N/K

Salary  

273.86

 

273.86

Litter Picker / Caretaker

N/K

Salary

106.73

 

106.73

 

Unique Minute No

Business

Record

Action

10

Parish Council Business &

 Correspondence

 

1)PCSO’s Report/ Parish Council General Correspondence.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2) Data Protection

 

 

3) Review of Parish Council Website

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4) A20 Speed Restriction Scheme

 

5) Risk Assessment

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6) Southern Water

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7) Report for KALC Meeting

 

 

8)Protection of MUGA

 

* Cars on the Green

 

 

 

 

 

* Rollover contract

 

 

 

9)BREXIT

 

 

10) Minutes from Parish Council meeting with the Village Hall Committee

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11) Changes to HPC Procedures.

 

 

12) Transport/Bus services

 

 

 

 

 

 

13 ) Parish Tree Planting

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14) Traveller Accommodation Plan

 

15) Hothfield Newsletter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our PCSO attended the meeting. We already receive monthly reports from him which keep the PC up to date. Mr Cox agreed to post these on Next Door. However, PC Newell reminded us all that fortunately incidents of crime in Hothfield are very low. He also explained that any incidents should be reported and currently there are various ways of doing this including a live chat which can be accessed via the Kent Police website. The concerns of trail bikes/motorbikes being ridden on the road and on private land without consent was again raised with PC Newell who explained that measures had been taken to combat this.

 

PC Newell will be looking to host an informal meeting with residents in the near future and will contact the clerk to arrange.

 

General Parish Council email correspondence had been dealt with directly when submitted via the clerk or had been raised in agenda item Public Interval. Therefore no correspondence was passed to the Chairman.  

 

 

Nothing to Report.

 

 

Following Cantiums advertised offer to migrate and host PC websites, the clerk had spoken with them to find out whether Hothfield could be included and to seek clarification as to whether the offer of funding in year 1 as advertised would also be available. At present Cantium have said that we could use them to support our migration and this would ensure that our new platform meets the AA web content accessibility guidelines. They have agreed to look into the funding question with KALC as they believe that the offer is only available to existing accounts hosted by Cantium. The clerk will report back to the PC when we have an answer.

 

 

Nothing to report.

 

A completed Risk Assessment had been distributed to the PC prior to the meeting.  Further discussions would be needed to look at how the pc mitigate against the risks that the report highlighted. It was also agreed that the report should be shared with the Village Hall Committee as the assessment included the village hall and low level risks were identified. Cllr Merrion also suggested that the dates of the assessment now be changed to bring them into line with the calendar year allow the assessments to be completed bi-annually (April and October) The PC agreed to this change.

 

A financial risk assessment is still due to take place and Cllr Merrion and the clerk are working together to ensure that this can be completed within the coming weeks. 

 

Although not confirmed as yet by Southern Water, reports of a further sink hole developing on West Street were brought to the attention of the PC. Further developments and Southern Waters’ actions will be reported on as soon as we know more.

 

Cllr Cox raised the issue of damage to the triangle possibly caused by the Southern Water machinery and also to the pathway. He will provide the clerk with further details.

 

 

Minutes of the KALC Ashford Area Committee -January 15th meeting had been distributed before the meeting.  

 

 

 

 

A site visit to look at the issue of cars parking on the green had taken place in January however, due to time constraints, discussion on this matter were deferred until the next meeting.

 

 

The PC agreed to a rolling contract with the Play inspection company who provide a H&S inspection of the MUGA.

 

Nothing to Report.

 

 

Due to time constraints, the minutes of the meeting were not discussed. However, Peter Howard was in attendance at the PC meeting and reiterated that the Village Hall are still having problems securing long term bookings. This combined with the fixed costs of running the village hall would impact on its future viability. The PC were in agreement that to lose such a resource would be of detriment to the village and it was suggested that the upcoming solar funding meeting taking place in the village hall would be a great opportunity to highlight the predicament to local residents. It was also agreed to encourage local residents to consider joining the village hall committee.

 

 

Due to time constraints, this item was deferred until the next meeting.

 

 

Although a letter had been sent from the PC to Stagecoach and subsequent emails of support from Pluckley and Westwell Parish Councils had also been sent, a satisfactory reply had yet to be received from the bus company. The clerk agreed to chase.

 

 

Following a letter from ABC where all Parish Councils were invited to take part in a new tree planting programme. Hothfield PC agreed to undertake a survey to provide Aspire with details on tree stocks we already have here in Hothfield and we will now be taking delivery of 10 tree saplings in the coming weeks. This is part of the commitment undertaken by Ashford Borough to be carbon neutral by 2030.

 

 

The Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Local plan and options report currently open for consultation was provided to the PC.

 

Discussions on the best way to distribute the Hothfield Newsletter took place as some residents prefer a hard copy and other choose to view by email. To ensure that all residents are still able to view the newsletter via a method that suits them, it was agreed that if you wish to receive your copy via email you should send an email in the first instance to hothfieldnewsletter@tiscali.co.uk this will ensure that your choice is recorded.

 

 

11.

Planning

See public interval. Due to resident concerns it was agreed that the PC would conduct a site visit of the following areas before reaching a decision.

 

19/01771/AS – Greensands, Church Lane, Hothfield.

 

20/00068/AS – 4 Alder Cottage, Bethersden Road, Hothfield.

 

The application for: 20/00128/AS Oakover Nurseries, was supported by the pc.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12.

Items for Next Agenda

Items listed above that were deferred due to time constraints.

 

13.

Forum for Exchange of Information (AOB)

There were no items raised that had not been already covered during the meeting.

 

 

There being no other business the meeting concluded at 21:15hrs.  The next meeting is scheduled for 4th March 2020.

 

Up to top of page


 
Published: 27.02.2020
 2020 Hothfield Parish Council