Hothfield Parish Council

...in the rustic heart of Kent


JULY 2007 PARISH COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Minutes of the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting

held at The Village Hall, Hothfield, on Monday 9 July 2007

at 7.00pm

PRESENT:    Mrs S Whittington (Chair), Mrs P Warren, Mr J Collins, Mr P Holloway, Mr L Krause and Mr P Patten

PARISH CLERK: Mrs J Batt

BOROUGH COUNCILLOR: Mr N Wallace

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: There was one Member of the Public present

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
An Apology for Absence was received from Mr P Howard who is taking part in a charity walk, Mr L Hughes and Mr A Rawlins due to a work commitment

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no Declarations of Interest

i) Updating of Declarations of Interest for the Code of Conduct
The Clerk reminded Councillors that they should update their Declarations of Interest
with the Monitoring Officer if necessary.

3. PUBLIC INTERVAL
The Member of the Public present did not have any questions or comments.

4. ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES
Minutes 57 were accepted and it was unanimously agreed that Mrs Whittington should sign them.
Proposed Mr Krause Seconded Mrs Warren

5. MATTERS ARISING
Mrs Whittington reported that she had replied to ABC regarding their Lettings Policy and had asked for a review of their consultation process.

6. GENERAL COUNCIL BUSINESS
Crime and Disorder – Response from Police to our letter re 999 calls and quad bikes
We are still awaiting a response to the above letter. The Clerk was asked to write again.

Traffic Calming
It was agreed that Mrs Whittington should contact Paul Carter’s PA and request a meeting
with him, which will be attended by a small delegation of Parish Councillors.

Highways Issues
Mrs Whittington reported that along with Mr Patten, she met with Jennie Wickenden and
Dave Nicholls regarding highway maintenance issues within Hothfield. Andy Corcoran refused to attend, as he said he did not have anything positive to report to us.

Various issues were discussed and the Clerk was asked to email a list of items needing attention to Highways as a reminder and to thank them for the work done so far.

Arrangements for August
It was agreed not to hold a meeting in August. In the event that something arises which needs to be dealt with urgently, the Chairman will call an extraordinary meeting.

Planning Applications will be sent to Mr Howard who will arrange a meeting as necessary.

Quote from Biffa for Tidying the Village

We contacted Biffa and asked for a site meeting but have not heard anything yet. The Clerk will contact them again.

Fly Tipping - Response from Clean Kent Campaign
An Enforcement Officer from the Clean Kent Team is in the process of trying to contact the land owner to ask for permission to go onto the land and clear the rubbish. Mrs Whittington said she would refer him to Mr Coles.

MUGA
Mr Patten reported that the project is progressing well. It is hoped work will start on the installation towards the end of the month and be completed by the middle of September, although this very much depends on the weather. Once we have a completion date Mrs Whittington and Mr Patten will organise an opening ceremony.

Village Appraisal
In his report of the recent meeting of the Hothfield Projects Sub Group, Mr Holloway reported that concern had been expressed that the Appraisal was not being Village led.

It was generally felt that communication regarding the Appraisal is a problem, as many residents were not interested in attending a formal meeting where the process of producing an Appraisal could be explained to them.

Mr Holloway also said he thought the questionnaire was too long and after discussion it was agreed that Mrs Whittington should contact the Housing Department at ABC and ask them to help to produce and distribute a questionnaire to their tenants. They are prepared to physically take one to each of their tenants and discuss it with them.

7. ADOPTION OF NEW MODEL CODE OF CONDUCT
All Councillors were circulated with correspondence from the Standards Board for England
regarding this. Following the last meeting the Clerk wrote to Mr Mortimer regarding paragraph 10 and he responded. The letter was read out to Councillors present.

After discussion Councillors unanimously agreed to adopt the Model Code of Conduct for Members, including paragraphs 7(1)b, 10(2)c and 12(2).

RESOLUTION
The members of Hothfield Parish Council unanimously agreed to adopt the Model Code of Conduct for Members, including paragraphs 7(1)b, 10(2)c and 12(2)at their meeting on 9 July 2007.

8. CORRESPONDENCE AND FINANCE
Correspondence
Kent Police reply to letter of 11 June
Plane and Simple Ltd
Local Councils Update
Clerks & Councils Direct
KAPC Parish News etc
BAGO
ABC re The Local Development Framework – Tenterden and Rural Areas Development Plan
Document
ABC Agenda for Parish Forum to be held 11.07.07
ABC Notice of meeting of Standards Board
ABC re Code of Conduct Training
ABC re Code of Conduct
KAPC Minutes of Meeting held 06.06.07
KCC Kent Minerals Development Framework
Kent Highways
Clerk and Councils Direct
NALC Cracking the Code
Ashford Green Corridor
erHa - The Bulletin

ABC – Tenterden and Rural Areas Development Plan

Ashford Borough Council wishes to set up workshops regarding the above. It was agreed that the Clerk should write and inform them that we would support a workshop and suggest
that they hold one in the Village Hall. The Friends of St Margaret’s would be prepared
to provide refreshments. Mr Patten offered to attend the workshop on behalf of the Parish Council.

An article was placed in the Kentish Express recently asking landowners wishing to sell land for development to contact ABC. The Clerk was asked to contact ABC and ask for details
of any land that has been put forward.

Accounts to be paid 

PAYEE DETAILS
£  NET
£  VAT
£  GROSS
Mr C Stanley

Webmaster Services

154.00   154.00
Mr P Whittington Repairs to Fence 102.48 7.43 109.91
St Margaret's PCC Contribution towards grass cutting 500.00   500.00
Mrs Fields Donation towards Newsletter 150.00   150.00

Proposed Mr Patten       Seconded Mrs Warren

Resolution: Councillors unanimously agreed to pay the above accounts.

Bank Balance
The account balance stands at £12719.96. £1452 of this is earmarked for the Village
Appraisal. Councillors had previously been circulated with a copy of the Working Figures
to the end of June.

Bank Mandate
Mr Patten proposed that, in light of recent problems with NatWest, we move our
Reserve Account to the Abbey Bank. Councillors still need to go into NatWest and sign the
Bank Mandate for the Current Account. Mr Patten will arrange this. He will also meet with
The Clerk to arrange to open an account with Abbey and transfer funds.

Adoption of Audited Accounts
The Clerk reported that the Annual Return had been received back from District Audit.
Councillors unanimously agreed to adopt the Audited Accounts. A copy of the accounts
and Annual Return has been published in the Post Office.

9. PLANNING
Please see attached list.

10. FREEDOM OF INFORMATION/UPDATING OF WEB SITE
It was unanimously agreed to publish the Summary of Receipts and Payments on the Website.

11. RISK ASSESSMENT/RISK INSPECTION

The fence has been mended. Mr Hughes was not at the meeting to report on the Play Area.

12. VILLAGE RESPONSIBILITIES
Repair and Maintenance
Nothing to report

Items to be reported to the County Lengthsmen
The lights along Station Road
The de-restriction sign needs repairing – Bethersden Road
Signs need cleaning
Yellow and white lines need reinstating

13. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
THE CLERK SHOULD BE NOTIFIED OF ITEMS TO BE INCLUDED ON THE SEPTEMBER AGENDA BY FRIDAY 31 AUGUST 2007.


There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.12 pm.


Last Update  13.07.2007
 2007 Hothfield Parish Council